As an ACN IBO, it’s imperative to ensure that the customer themselves provide their Explicit Informed Consent (EIC)* for the transfer of their energy service to Click Energy in Australia and energyclubnz in New Zealand.
Still confused about EIC? Click here to read our explainer.
As a reminder, it’s not sufficient for an IBO to obtain a customer’s verbal authority to place an order on their behalf. The customer themselves must always complete their own energy application. This is a regulatory requirement and is non-negotiable.
Further to this, together with our energy agency partners, we are dealing with a number of energy customer complaints relating to IBOs entering their own email and phone contact details on customer applications. Any IBO found to be doing this will be terminated.
When a customer fails to supply their Explicit Informed Consent on an application, this significantly increases the risk and the likelihood of regulatory action. In some cases this can lead to legal action from Energy and Consumer protection regulators against ACN, our Energy Agency partners, and the offending IBO. This is why it’s imperative that you act ethically and train your teams accordingly.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Don’t promote energy services until you have successfully completed your IBO Energy Accreditation training.
- Do not submit energy applications on behalf of a customer. The customer themselves must always complete their own energy application. When we see this happening, we will have no option but to terminate the IBO immediately.
- Under no circumstances can an IBO’s details including, but not limited to, their email address or phone number, be placed on a customer’s energy order. When we see this happening, we will have no option but to terminate the IBO immediately.
- Do not create email accounts for customers or prospective customers. Again, this is an offence that will result in immediate termination.
- Do present and outline the energy product information to the customer.
- Do make sure the customer has a copy of their last energy invoice ready when completing their energy service application.
- Do make sure the customer checks their meter type before completing their application for an energy service.
- Do ensure that only the customer completes their energy service application. No one else can do this for them.
- Do ensure that the customer enters their own email address and phone number, not yours or someone else’s.