What is the nbn™?
The National Broadband Network (nbn™) is a national network of communications infrastructure currently being built by NBN Co on behalf of the Federal Government. It is being completed on a region-by-region basis across the country, being rolled out over a period of 10 years and scheduled to be completed by 2021. It will provide access to the internet using a range of fibre-optic, copper, wireless and satellite technology aimed at supporting the country’s growing demand for faster and more reliable internet connections.
The nbn™ network is a wholesale-only network, therefore as a customer, you won’t be able to buy directly from NBN Co and will need to choose a Retail Service Provider (RSP), such as ACN Pacific Pty Ltd, to get connected to the nbn™ Network.
NBN Co will use a number of different technologies to implement the nbn™ network across Australia. It is important to note that the technology that an individual customer’s home or office receives is selected by NBN Co and will depend on where the customer is located and that this may be different from their neighbours. The technologies to connect customers to the nbn™ network include:
- nbn ™ Fibre to the Home (FTTP) – provides a fibre optic network connection into the home or office.
- nbn ™ Fibre to the Node (FTTN) and Fibre to the Building (FTTB) – uses the existing copper network to connect the nbn™ into your home or office by connecting it to newly installed fibre optic nodes installed on sidewalks or in buildings.
- nbn ™ Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) – uses the existing copper network to connect the nbn™ network into your home or office by connecting it to a small fibre optic node on the sidewalk.
- nbn ™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) – uses the existing Telstra and Optus cable television networks to deliver the nbn™ network into your home or office by connecting it to the new nbn™ fibre optic network.
- nbn ™ Fixed Wireless – a fixed wireless network which is used to service hard to wire, geographically large with lower population density in regional areas.
- nbn™ Satellite – uses a satellite dish to connect your home or office to the nbn™ network in remote or very difficult to reach areas.