Can I use my EFTPOS or Credit Card terminal on the nbn™?
Yes, in most instances your EFTPOS or Credit Card terminal will work over the nbn™.
To determining whether your EFTPOS terminal will still work with the nbn™ depends on how it connects to the bank. There are several ways EFTPOS terminals can connect to the bank:
- Over PSTN (standard phone lines): Most standalone EFTPOS machines that are not linked to a ‘Point of Sale Computer System’ instead utilise a landline phone line to process the transaction with the Bank or Financial Institution.
- Over the internet using Internet Protocol (IP): These should continue working on internet services provided over the nbn™. Please confirm with your EFTPOS provider whether your EFTPOS terminal has any special requirements other than a standard internet connection.
- Over a mobile network: The rollout of the nbn™ fibre network will not affect these, as mobile networks are completely separate to the nbn™. To check out ACN Mobile Broadband plans click here.
- Over an ISDN service (a digital service provided over phone lines): ACN does not provide an ISDN service, if you currently have an ISDN line with Telstra these may continue working as normal as Telstra is not switching off its ISDN lines at the same time as standard phone lines.
Before you order an nbn™ service it is in your best interest to contact your EFTPOS provider (your bank or financial institution) for advice and to ensure you order the correct services. ACN nbn™ voice services are offered over the ACN VoIP network. ACN does not offer voice services over UNI-D or UNI-V.
You will also need to clarify:
- What nbn™ services you require to access your EFTPOS machine (Broadband or Broadband and Voice);
- Any additional in-premises wiring or changes to in-premise wiring that may be required
After you submit your application online for an nbn™ Service please ensure you contact ACN Customer Service to let us know you have an EFTPOS machine and what the requirements are that have been outlined by your EFTPOS provider. This will ensure we are able to arrange any additional in premise wiring to connect your EFTPOS machine to the nbn™.
Banks and telecommunications companies are working on providing internet-connected (IP) EFTPOS terminals more broadly, so if you are interested in switching over to one, ask the provider of your EFTPOS machine. These terminals securely connect to banks over internet services without requiring a phone service, and may have the advantage of processing transactions quicker than older terminals.