How do I minimise equipment cabling problems inside my premises?
Loose, dirty, or corroded cables can have a huge negative impact on performance and stability.
To minimise cabling problems:
- Make sure there are no loose plugs or sockets.
- Eliminate excess phone cable length – phone cables should be no longer than three metres – but the shorter the better.
- Avoid having your Ethernet cabling cross over power cables.
- Avoid coiled-up phone cabling (this can increase the influence of external noise).
- Avoid phone extension cables or joiners.
- Ideally, you should move your router very close to the wall socket, and use either Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi to connect your computer.