What is an ‘Isolation Test’?
An isolation test is used to check for interference from faulty splitters/filters, telephone devices, and cables. To perform an isolation test, unplug everything from your phone line, including:
- telephones, faxes, and answering machines
- ADSL filters and splitters
- Foxtel or other PayTV Set Top Boxes which connect to a phone line
- EFTPOS machines
- Back-to-base alarm systems (if possible)
- Extension cables and double adapters.
Once you have unplugged everything from your phone line, connect ONLY your ADSL modem – without a filter – and see if your problem continues. If it doesn’t, then something you unplugged is the source of your reduced speed and/or dropouts; re-introduce devices one at a time to find the source of the problem.